UPDATE:

Hello - I'm a bit behind because my job has me out of town but I will be updating with more recipes very soon. Thank you for your patience.

Weekly Sustenence Chef (2/28/2009)

UPDATE: I'm just two weeks behind now (If you count this week). Hang in there!

UPDATE #2 - Life has gotten busy but I will return post a family emergency. Back to the hosptial! 4/28/2009

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Meal: Simple Pumpkin Soup and Warm Chicken Arugula Paninis

Simple Pumpkin Soup:
I just can't get enough of pumpkin flavored...well...anything this time of year. When I first saw this recipe I wasn't entirely sure about the whole Chinese five-spice plus maple syrup combo but it totally works. I'd also encourage you to use REAL maple syrup versus the fake stuff. Not only is it more natural but the flavor is incomparable.

Ingredients
1 15-ounce cans pure pumpkin
2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup skim milk
1 garlic clove, pressed
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons unsalted light butter
1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
(A blend of ground anise, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, and ginger)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper

2 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, sliced (optional)


Bring first 4 ingredients to simmer in large saucepan over medium-high heat, whisking often. Whisk in syrup, 1 tablespoons butter, and five-spice powder. Simmer soup 10 minutes, whisking often. Season with salt and pepper.

Melt remaining 1 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Divide soup among 2 bowls. Sprinkle soup with mushrooms and serve.

(Soup can be made 1 day ahead. Chill until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Bring to simmer before serving.)

Bon Appetit October 2001





Chicken and Arugula Panini:
My family bought an expensive panini maker which works great but when I got a good look at it I thought, my Foreman grill looks about the same. And for the most part, it is. So I didn't fall for the $$$ machinery and just used what I had already, you can too! (If you have one, if not just grill it like a cheese sandwich)

Using a rotisserie chicken can save you time but keep it healthy by removing the skin.

Ingredients
1 cooked chicken breast, shredded (from a store-bought rotisserie chicken)
2 slices red onion
2 slices provolone cheese
1/2 cup arugula
2 tbsp sweet stone ground mustard
4 slices Hawaiian bread (or Italian loaf)
2 tbsp butter

Panini machine, Foreman Grill or skillet


Preheat the panini machine. Lightly butter one side of each slice of bread with 1/2 tbsp butter each. On two of the unbuttered slices of bread layer shredded chicken, red onion, provolone cheese, and arugula. On the other two unbuttered slices of bread spread one tbsp of mustard, then place the bread buttered side up on top of the arugula. Grill sandwiches on the panini (or Foreman Grill) for 5 minutes. If grilling in a skillet, toast on each side for 2-3 minutes.




No comments: