UPDATE:

Hello - I'm a bit behind because my job has me out of town but I will be updating with more recipes very soon. Thank you for your patience.

Weekly Sustenence Chef (2/28/2009)

UPDATE: I'm just two weeks behind now (If you count this week). Hang in there!

UPDATE #2 - Life has gotten busy but I will return post a family emergency. Back to the hosptial! 4/28/2009

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Meal: Venison and Cabbage Stew

Venison and Cabbage Stew: My mother actually came up with this recipe as a creative way to use an abundance of venison. My family is usually well stocked with venison meat. It's a fabulous organic and healthy meat if you can get it. If not, regular beef stew meat will work. I have used ground venison, ground buffalo and ground beef before but I shorten the first cooking time down to only 30 minutes.

Ingredients
6 cups water
1 lb venison stew meat (or beef)
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried parsley
3 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
½ head of cabbage, chopped
12 oz tomato paste
2 cups diced or crushed tomatoes

Shredded cheddar cheese
Crusty bread

Pour water into a large stock pot and bring to a low boil. Add stew meat and cook for about 1 hour. Skim the foam off of the top of the water. Add in onion, celery, carrots, basil, parley, garlic, sea salt, pepper and cabbage. Boil for 30 minutes. Then add in tomato paste and crushed tomatoes. Cook for 15 more minutes. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and serve with sliced bread.

No comments: